Winter Gardening is harder than Spring and Summer because of lack of sunshine. I also find it more difficult this year because of unstable weather like snow, rain, winds, and frost. Frost and snow often kill vegetables. Especially when the roots are frozen 😦
When the roots got frozen, there is nothing we can do after that (very hard to recover). Would recommend to start new crops.
Here are tips for winter harvesting.
- Use indoor instead of outside. Room temperature at 25C (=77F) is very comfortable for vegetables
- Start germinating with a small container and wet kitchen paper (explained in another blog post here )
- Apply LED light. Even regular LED light helps vegetables grow.
- Use warm mat to keep soil temperature high
- Create a DIY green house by using kitchen plastic wrap. Example is below.
WIth Easy Seed Starting System
These 5 items above help me grow vegetables even during winter time. It is very satisfying watching them grow every morning even if it is very cold in morning.